Neve tzedek- Neve Tsedek - Neve Zedek is the first neighborhood of Tel Aviv. Neve Tzedek was founded in 1887 by a group of Jewish families seeking a more peaceful life outside of the Jaffa's. The residents constructed mostly colorful, short buildings along narrow streets At the beginning of the 1900s, many artists and writers made Neve Tzedek their residence. Most notably, Nobel prize laureate Shmuel Yosef Agnon, as well as Hebrew artist Nahum Gutman, used Neve Tzedek as both a home and a sanctuary for art.
by the end of the 1980s, efforts began to renovate and preserve Neve Tzedek century-old structures. New establishments were housed in old buildings, most notably to the Suzanne Dalal Dance and Theater Center and the Nahum Gutman Museum, located in the artist's home.
The well-needed gentrification led to Neve Tzedek rebirth as a fashionable and popular residence for Tel Avivians. Its main streets became lined once again with artists' studios, alongside trendy cafés and bars.
Shmuel Yosef Agnon , August 8 1887 - February 17 1970 was a Hebrew nobel prize laureate writer and was one of the central figures of modern Hebrew fiction.
His works deal with the conflict between the traditional Jewish life and language and the modern world.
Agnon was awarded the Nobel Prize jointly with poet Nelly Sachs in 1966.
Nahum Gutman 1898 - 1980 Neve Tzedek
He was the fourth child of Alter and Rivka Gutman. His father was a Hebrew writer and educator In 1903 the family moved to Odessa , and two years later, to Palestine.Gutman served in the Jewish Legion in World War I, and then went to Europe to continue his education in art that he had begun at Bezalel; he returned to Israel in 1926. Influenced by Henri Rousseau and Matisse.Gutman worked primarily in oils, gouaches, and water colors. His oil paintings are known for their large blocks of pure, unmixed color, and his water colors are clear, evoking a transparency akin to the innocence he wished to convey. Gutman is also famous for his illustration of Bialik poems and for mosaics he designed in Tel Aviv: in the Shalom Tower, the Chief Rabbinate Building, and the old City Plaza.